Bankruptcy and your Credit Rating

In my work as a bankruptcy attorney in Charleston, South Carolina I receive questions from clients concerned about what will happen to their credit rating if they file for bankruptcy. Here are a couple things you should know:

Won’t Bankruptcy Negatively Impact My Credit Score?

While it is true that filing for bankruptcy will lower your credit score, rebuilding your credit is fairly easy. By consistently making payments to credit cards and other accounts on time, you could raise your score in as little as six months to a year. Although each case is different, hiring an experienced bankruptcy lawyer and filing for bankruptcy allows you to obtain the fresh start you need to begin again.

How long does a bankruptcy stay on my credit report?

Filing bankruptcy in South Carolina will affect your credit score for 7 to 10 years. There are things you can do to ensure your score rises, which include making timely payment on an auto loan or a school loan. You can get your annual free credit report to keep track of your progress. If there is an error on your report, either at Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion, you can contact the agency directly and have it corrected. You can find out how to dispute credit report errors at the Federal Trade Commission website.

Hiring a Private Investigator


If you suspect your spouse is cheating on you, it is in your best interest to hire a private investigator to gather the proof you will need to convince the court. Typically, private investigators will charge you $1,500 to $2,000 as a retainer. The investigator will track your spouse’s activities and if your spouse is cheating, the investigator will document it. The investigator will provide you the proof you need with photographic evidence and/or with an affidavit. The evidence that the investigator collects is instrumental to proving your adultery claim. If you can prove adultery, you can get divorced in 90 days.


If you are fearful that your spouse may be entitled to alimony, hiring a private investigator can provide you with the proof you need to bar your wife or husband from being entitled to any alimony from you at all. You need to be careful not to sign a settlement agreement with your spouse until after you obtain the proof you need.

Talk to me about how to proceed with hiring a private investigator. In the Charleston area, there are several I personally recommend, who are personable and get results. I recommend George Hawkins or Jeff Metts. Both have websites you may visit to see who is right for you. I always recommend speaking to a few investigators before deciding. You need to hire somebody who you are comfortable working with.

Child Custody

A private investigator can be instrumental in proving that your spouse or ex-spouse is drinking excessively or using illegal drugs while the children are in his or her care. The investigator can obtain the proof you need to show that your ex-spouse or current spouse is not acting in the best interest of the children, and indeed may be putting them in danger. A private investigator may also be able to prove your ex is exposing the children to his or her paramour.

Call me at (843)814-4215 to discuss these issues further.